Owning a home or business comes with a number of responsibilities. Even if you’re not the DIY type, it’s good to pick up a few tips and tricks along the way to keep your property and plumbing running smoothly. Knowing a few basics about a clogged pipe, for example, will help you determine if you should call a plumber or if you can remedy the issue.
Clogged Pipe Warning Signs
There is never a convenient time to experience a clogged pipe, so being aware of the warning signs will help you stay ahead of the problem. Before the clog becomes a complete blockage, look for these warning signs that suggest you have a plumbing problem:
- Sewage smell: Strong odors seeping from your drains suggest a clog is causing a waste back up.
- Multiple flushes: If waste isn’t removed from the toilet with one flush, there may be a clog blocking the flow of sewage away from the home.
- Gurgling drains: Gurgling noises mean air is trapped somewhere in the plumbing, usually from buildup in the pipe.
- Slow-draining tub or sink: If water pools at the bottom of the shower or sink, you’re likely dealing with a clogged pipe.
If you’re continuously pouring a clog removal chemical down your drain or using the plunger to allow the toilet to work properly, it may be time to call the plumber.
When Clogged Pipes Call For A Plumber
Not every situation calls for a professional. For example, if a foreign object, like a child’s toy, gets lodged in your drain, you can likely remove it with your home tools. For superficial clogs, like soap debris or hair in the shower drain, a plumbing snake could do the trick.
However, clogged pipes that require a professional plumber are often easy to identify. You should always call a professional plumber for your clogged pipes if:
- Multiple drains become clogged at once.
- There’s no water supply to your home.
- Sewage is bubbling through the drain.
- Sewage is pooling in your yard or basement.
- The toilets in the home do not remove waste when flushed.
Multiple clogged drains or toilets in your home are characteristic of a sewer main blockage, which needs to be handled by a professional immediately. A skilled plumber will properly evaluate the clogged pipe with a camera inspection to specify exactly where the blockage is and offer the best solutions for your plumbing problem.